ENTREPRENEURIAL BEHAVIOUR AND ATTITUDE OF WOMEN DAIRY FARMERS OF KERALA STATE TOWARDS COMMERCIAL DAIRY FARMING

reeja george P, T. T RANGANATHAN

Abstract


The term entrepreneur is generally used while referring to individuals who are engaged in an activity that is of an industrial nature and this term does not really fit into the profile of a small holder dairy farmer in India.  However over the last two decades there has been considerable change in the environment in which farmers work and farmers are increasing forced to act in situations that have all the characteristics of a business. The introduction of new breeds of dairy cattle, improved feed technology and other developments in the animal husbandry field had initiated a transformation of the dairy sector as well in Kerala coupled with high competition from cheaper milk sources from outside the state.  It is in this context that the importance of entrepreneurial skills assumes significance. Favourable attitudes towards commercialisation have been reported to be a function of entrepreneurial abilities and entrepreneurial attitudes.  It was in this context that the present study was undertaken. The three districts selected were Ernakulam, Palakkad, and Thrissur. From these districts, multistage random sampling procedure was used to select the respondents so that the final sample contained a total of 153 farm women, 51 each with one, two and more than two cow units from each of the three panchayats. Entrepreneurial Behavior (EB) was measured by developing an index known as Entrepreneurial Behaviour Index . Attitude was measured using a scale developed for the purpose of this study. None of the respondents with more than two cow units had a less favourable attitude towards commercial dairy farming where as nearly half of the women with one cow units fell in this category.  Majority of the respondents with two cow units (82.36%) fell in the medium level category while very few fell in the low level.  However, nearly one fourth (23.53%) of women with one cow units had a favourable attitude towards commercial dairy farming and fell in the high category, as compared to 13.72 per cent of women with two cow units and over forty percent (41.18%) of women with more than two cows. The three categories of beneficiaries differed significantly with respect of their mean attitude scores.  none of the women with one cow units had high level of entrepreneurial behaviour.  Most of these respondents (56.86%) fell in the medium level and the rest (43.13%) in the low entrepreneurial behaviour category.  In the case of respondents with two cow units, most of the women (78.44%) had medium level of entrepreneurial behaviour while the rest (11.76%) had low level. there was significant and positive correlation between attitude towards commercial dairy farming and entrepreneurial behaviour.

 


Keywords


ENTREPRENEURIAL BEHAVIOUR, ATTITUDES FARM WOMEN

Full Text:

PDF

References


Edwards, A.L. (1957). Techniques of attitude scale construction. Appleton Century Crafts, New York.

Fitzsimmons, J.R. and Douglas, E.J. (2005), “Entrepreneurial attitudes and entrepreneurial intentions: a cross-cultural study of potential entrepreneurs in India, China, Thailand and Australia”, Babson-Kauffman Entrepreneurial Research Conference, Wellesley, MA, June.

Likert, R. (1932). A technique for the measurement of attitude. Arch.Psychol., No. 140.

Mappigau, P., Musa, Y. and Amraeni (2016). Determinants of the Post Adoption Behaviour of Small Scale Farmers: Evident of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) Practices in Indonesia. Arabian J Bus Manag Review 6 (6):263-268

Rosairo, H.S.R.and D.J. Potts. (2016). A study on entrepreneurial attitudes of upcountry vegetable farmers in Sri Lanka. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, 6(1):39-58. https://doi.org/10.1108/JADEE-07-2014-0024

Senthilvinayagam, S. (1999). Entrepreneurial behavior of agri-business operators. Ph.D. Thesis, Kerala Agricultural University, Vellanikara.


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.